When we went to Auburn a few weeks ago we spotted the Auburn City Hall Building that was built over 100 years ago in 1913. If is in an ” Italianate style” building, which was inspired 16th Century Renaissance architecture that was popular in the 1840’s to 1890’s in the U.S.
From the large communication tower on the right side of the building, we concluded it was probably the local police station, which was confirmed after looking up later on.
An interesting piece of history about the building from Waymarking.com advised that on 10/14/33, notorious bank robber, John Dillinger, and his gang, robbed the police station after his gang broke him out of jail in Lima, Ohio. The site indicates:
” It is believed John Dillinger, Harry Pierpont and Charles Makely pulled the job. It was the first robbery these men had committed together and they took one Thompson machine gun, one Spanish .45, one German Luger, one colt .45, one .44 Smith & Wesson, one .30-caliber Springfield, two .38 revolvers, a shotgun, three bulletproof vests and over 1,245 rounds of ammo. They left quietly after locking the two policemen on duty up in a cell.
It also indicates:
” The tower on top was once used as a guard tower. Obviously no one guarding the day Dillinger came to town.”
The original source cited is JHdillinger.fortunecity.com
Location: 201 Cedar Street, Auburn, IN